Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Chaps, the stunt cat

One of our cats (Chaps) went for an unexpected 3-mile ride in a downpour riding underneath the Xterra when I went to pick up Kailyn from her pre-K. Apparently - I hadn't noticed this before - there is plenty of room above the spare tire/rear differential area of the vehicle for a cat to hide/take a nap/whatever. I don't know if it was the fact that it was raining hard or what, but for some reason he didn't jump down when the car cranked up. Amazingly, he held on for the entire trip to Kailyn's pre-K, and only then decided to make a break for it.

Now realize, I had no idea this was happening. (1) He's never crawled up under a car before (he usually bolts away if near a vehicle when it starts up). (2) It's pouring, I'm driving through really deep puddles. Cat's getting soaked (I'm guessing the cat is, too), but all I can hear is rain hitting the car and the sound of the engine.

Anyway, I get to the pre-K, and as I'm unloading Zachary to go inside to grab Kailyn, I swear I hear a cat meowing. I look under my car and a couple of cars around me, but didn't really think twice about it until I signed Kailyn out and got back outside...when it hit me what I might have been hearing. I put the kids in the car, looked under the back of the car and saw a tuft of white cat hair stuck on some bolts above the rear axle.

Oops.

Don't worry. Chaps is alive and well. It took Stacey meeting me there and (only) about 15 minutes of searching and explaining what we were doing to church/pre-K staff, but we - amazingly - found him across the street in someone's yard. I don't think we or the staff people there could (1) believe Chaps had ridden all that way underneath a vehicle and survived and (2) that we had been able to find him.

He was terrified. I've never seen a cat's eyes open so wide. Almost Halloweenish.

In any case, he's home, appears to be okay (though still very timid/tired). We'll just be checking under the car every time we go somewhere. Of course, I'm hoping this adventure will keep him from coming anywhere near the Xterra again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is crazy! this kind of reminds me of my Dog. Whenever it thunders we can't open any doors on the house or he barges his way in the house and we can't get him out. I've started making him a place in the Garage thought.. Anyways Nice Blog!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home